"The Butcher", aka Cameron, doesn't really live up to his last name. There is no meat cutting or anything that has to do with blood or slaughtering in his life, but we always thought it would be the best ongoing laugh if he ever became a surgeon. "The Baker", aka Ashley (me!), thinks she can bake, but for some unexplainable reason, her cupcake business just didn't quite take-off. We'll blame that on the mass amounts of people following the same dream. Together, Cameron and Ashley have bought their first home. A home of our dreams? Well, it isn't a dump by any means, but it definitely needs some taste. Although, individually, Cameron and Ashley could strip any screw they come in contact with, together, they can actually accomplish big projects with the right direction, some creativity, and a fair share of bickering.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DIY Front Door Rustic Decor

Moving on to another rustic-like DIY project.  Some Pinterest ideas inspired me to jazz up my front door in the non-holiday months, so I kind of just went with my own ideas and it turned out so cute!!


What you need:
~Cardboard letter (got mine from Hobby Lobby)
~Twine
~Hot glue gun
~Sharp scissors
~Empty picture frame
~Burlap or ribbon

First, I worked on wrapping my 'B' with twine.  This isn't as easy as it may appear at first, and I think depending on the letter you choose, you may have to use your own creativity at times to make it all come together.  But, I first wrapped the straight areas first, using hot glue to secure the beginning and then more to secure where I ended.




As I got to the rounded edges, the twine wasn't wrapped completely around. This is where you kind of have to be daring and creative. I was kind of lucky because it came out exactly how I pictured.


I then trimmed some of those loose twine hairs.  After the more difficult part is over, all you gotta do is glue the letter to the frame of your choice. I got my rustic frame from Hobby Lobby. At 40% off it was only $8!!  After gluing my letter to the frame, I wasn't decided whether or not to add more to my decor.  I bought twigs and ribbon, but decided to leave it as-is.  Rather then using satin ribbon to hang my frame with, I picked burlap (since I had left over from my last craft) and created a side knot with it.


I wasn't a fan of the frame sliding around and not staying centered as the door opened and closed (or should I say SLAMMED!), so I put those wall hook sticks on the 2 lower corners so that it stays put.  LOVE my new front door decor... simple, but very inviting =).

No comments:

Post a Comment